* The 2017 Toyota Highlander gets 27 miles per gallon, making it a great vehicle for families on the go! Our camping trip was a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive to and from and one tank of gas lasted us the entire trip which was nice to not have to worry about!
* One of the new features in many of the 2017 Toyotas is the Stop and Start Engine System. The engine will shut off when the vehicle is at rest, such as a stop light, and then restart when you release the brake; allowing you to save more on fuel!
* It has an available 5000 pound towing capacity. Something we did not have on the particular vehicle we were provided, but excellent to know! The Toyota Highlander was great for our family of 5, but definitely didn’t have room for all of our camping gear so it’s nice to know we can haul a trailer should we decide to purchase a Highlander in the future! (Which is a big probability because this was one of our favorite vehicles we have borrowed from Toyota!)
* There are USB ports for charging (a lifesaver when you have phones and technology to charge!)
* Can seat up to 8. The vehicle we were provided sat 8 very comfortably (sans camping gear). The middle row had captain chairs and the back had fold down bench seats that fit 3. When we went camping, Blake had the back and we were able to put the other sides down which allowed for more trunk space.
* The moon roof! We didn’t even use it! I forgot it was there since we didn’t do a ton of driving and the Arizona sun is far too bright, but in past vehicles, I have enjoyed using it at night!!
* Entertainment – XM Radio isn’t a huge deal anymore (although to me it is because I love having all sorts of music choices and the idea that we don’t lose radio when we drive through the mountains) but the Highlander also came with a movie screen for the back! (We didn’t use it, but we do know that it used an SD card to watch videos!)
* Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) is a new amazing safety feature in the Toyotas – not just the Highlander! And it’s amazing!
Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist – if you attempt to switch lanes without signaling, an annoying beeping sound alerts and the steering wheel gets tense. Annoying if you are driving and know what you are doing, but definitely a great safety feature if you start falling asleep at the wheel. I can definitely see it being a very helpful safety feature!
Dynamic Radar Cruis Control – Using forward-facing radar technology, the cruise control will automatically adjust the vehicle’s speed to help maintain a preset following distance between your vehicle and the vehicle directly in front of you!
Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection – helps keep the road safe by detecting pedestrians in certain situations. It combines millimeter-wave radar with a camera capable of shape recognition to provide an audio warning and a display notification to alert you. If needed, automatic breaking and collision-avoidance support is provided to prevent a collision.
Automatic High Beams – The automatic high beam system uses a camera to help detect oncoming vehicles as far away as 2000 feet and switches the high beams on and off! (I so need this in my life! I despise driving and having to switch the high beams on and off every few yards!)
* Bird’s Eye View Camera – which I did not realize, but I love the rear camera so I can see behind me when backing up.
* Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert has been super helfpul when driving. A warning light signals in your side view mirror when there is a car in your blind spot.
* Three-zone automatic climate control was awesome! I could have my own temp while hubby preferred his cooler plus the kids were able to control their own too!
Overall, we enjoyed the 2017 Toyota Highlander and I can see our family purchasing this vehicle in the future. It was great for a family of five and could easily fit another child. It wasn’t great for our camping trip as it didn’t hold all of our gear, but using a trailer worked perfectly. Knowing that the Highlander has the ability to tow a trailer is perfect! Definitely ranks up there as one of the best vehicles we have borrowed from Toyota!